10.19.2005

speaking of

marraige. the family just asked me to marry them. they proposed, each one. I was sitting on a golf cart on campus because Andrew told me I had to be sitting down for this. I thought, maybe they're buying me a ticket to visit, maybe we're going on a trip. He asked, "Will you marry me?" This was strange and not at all surprising. Our friend Jessica just sent an announcement this week about marrying a best friend, a "gay" man, in her words, for residency. I asked if he was joking. He said something like "not in the superficial sense, the societal sense." i thought, what? remembered societal isn't a word. wondered if they were drinking. wondered if they'd been calling to say "happy family night".

And then every one (three more) proposed to me. And I giggled and said yes. Can you imagine? It was funny to get asked over and over again -- keep having to repeat this ridiculous ritual. I sat up and down on the golf cart, exploiting the drama, but also trying to keep it absurd. I kept saying yes. i got to not even knowing what yes meant. i thought about telling Ronnie -- would she mention it in her class again? -- i thought how i wasn't even seeing them.

now i'm thinking that jawbreaker is next to me. out for now. no seriously, out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home