3.12.2006

Snaps

Last weekend my brother got together with about 60 other catholic converts and was introduced by the cardinal to his new congregation. About 1400 people attended. I don't know if applause or crossing oneself or high-fives or what takes place after the introduction, but I felt jealous. Not about the catholic thing, church thing, but about the ritual. I want more rituals in the queer community. I want big masses to convene and witness individuals declaring something about themselves, something they're proud of, something queer (this is not, in my opinion, being achieve by pride parades. that shit has gotten so corporate and cliche). Maybe I'm being naive and not thinking about all those people who don't have a name, a word, an identity to proclaim (I'm also dealing with this). But you know, I wouldn't mind 1400 people giving me or my friends snaps for being fabulous. I'm thinking gospel song and cross-dressing and something tony kushner would be proud of. I'm thinking a massive celebration that isn't about marriage, that's instead about the individual. I'd love to have a ritual that didn't require a denial of something and an espousal of something else, something we all have to agree on.

so anyway, my brother invited me to come up to DC to attend his first Easter mass. I can't make it, and only partly don't want to, but now I'm thinking about sending a card. Do they have confirmation cards? Congratulations? I was thinking something like "Good luck!" or "Farewell!". I'm not known for my tact.

1 Comments:

Blogger good golly said...

so odd that you mentioned it. been thinking about starting a church. and by a church, i just mean creating a regular space where people can express opinions and belief and help create a community with rituals. seriously. we're thinking of starting this summer. if you come some weekend i would be honored to have you attend.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home